The dichotomy of productivity is that you have to spend a lot of time doing nothing in order to do other stuff well. In this conversation Sam and Simon explore the quest for pointless activities. Stuff mentioned in this episode:
- The ridiculous cost of sportses, and how it impedes our progress as a species.
- Bertrand Russell, who had a lot to say about doing nothing.
- The Pomodoro Technique.
- The 4-hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss.
- The elephant and rider problem from the Happiness Hypothesis.
- Freedom for Productivity, which keeps Sam off the internets when she needs to do stuff.
- Mihály Csíkszentmihályi‘s Flow psychology.
- Hemingway – Simon’s new favourite writing tool.
- George Orwell’s Politics and the English Language.
- The Count Censored.
- Nyancoin – our new official currency. And Dogecoin. Because Homestar Runner.
- Momentum for Chrome.
- Slaan daardie slang.